Cooking rice the Japanese way
If you don't have a steamer, here's a cool trick to cook rice. No calculations needed.
- How much rice per person:
- 1/4 cup of dry rice per person is good as a side dish (you can calculate 1/3 cup if people are hungry)
- 1/2 cup of dry rice per person is good as a main course
- Always do an extra cup just in case, you can always recycle later
- Wash the rice, please:
- This step is critical to remove the excess starch and other impurities from the rice.
- Using a big colander, wash and rinse the rice with running water 3 to 4 times until the water is clear. Do it gently so as not to break the rice grains.
- Mount Fuji water calculation method:
- You don't need to make calculations or use cups to measure the water; simply use the best tool available: your hand.
- Put rice in a sauce pan. Put the palm of your hand flat on the surface of the rice. Add water until it touched the knuckle of your middle finger and that will be enough to cook your rice.
- Cooking procedure and time:
- Cook the rice over high heat until boiling
- Lower the heat and let water evaporate until the rice is no longer covered by water.
- Cover the sauce pan and let cook for around 15 min in medium heat
- Patience is always rewarded:
- Remove from heat
- Remove the heat
- Cover with slight damp cloth
- Let it rest for 5 minutes and serve
This method never fails
If you don’t have a steamer, here’s a cool trick to cook rice. No calculations needed.Add to Favourites