Scallops in a shrimp sauce with ginger ice cream
- Shrimp Sauce
- Shrimp broth - 1 cup
- Coconut water - 5 Tablespoons
- Saffron - 10 threds
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Sea scallops - 8
- Tequila Reposado - 4 Tablespoons
- Grand Marnier - 1-2 Tablespoons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Ginger Ice Cream - 2 scoops
- Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Creme fraiche - 3-4 teaspoons
- Broccoli - 4 large florets
Just for a change, this past weekend, Moira and I ended celebrating our anniversary at home instead of dinning out. So I decided to cook something special. This is part of a three course meal that also included Tempura Lamb Chops and Grilled Lobster with orange sabayon and truffle risotto.
These scallops are wonderful. The shrimp sauce is simple and straightforward but goes super well with the grilled scallops. The ginger ice cream adds an interesting twist to the sauce, giving it more depth. Steamed broccoli and creme fraiche bring a more earthy touch to this seafood appetizer.
- Marinate the sea scallops with the Tequila in deep bowl for 20 minutes.
- Bring a medium pan with water and sea salt to boil. Cook the broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Let it cool down and the cut each floret in thirds lengthwise. Reserve.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Bring the shrimp broth to boil, add the coconut water, saffron threads and reduce to 2/3. Reserve.
- Remove the scallops from the marinade, reserve the liquid. Pat the scallops very dry with a paper towel. Reserve.
- Add the Tequila from the marinade to the sauce. Bring to boil the sauce, reduce for 1-2 minutes. Add the Grand Marnier. Let the alcohol evaporate. Taste and season with pepper and salt. Reserve warm.
- Bring a pan to medium high heat, add the olive oil. When smoking, add the scallops and sear for 2 minutes until golden. Season with pepper and salt, turn them around and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden on the other side.
- Bring the sauce to boil.
- On a large plate, place half of the sauce at the center and place four scallops on top. Place broccoli in between. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the scallops.
- Place creme fraiche right next to the sauce. Place a scoop of ginger ice cream on the side of the plate.
Scallops in a shrimp sauce is a straightforward combination, yet the ginger ice cream and broccoli add an interesting twist with a subtle touch of creme fraiche.Add to Favourites