Lamb Curry Rice Pilaf
- Basmati rice - 400 gr/ 14 oz
- butter - 1 teaspoon
- saffron - 10 threds
- orange blosson - 1 teaspoon
- cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lamb curry
- lamb leg - deboned, 1.2-1.5 kg (2 1/2-3 lbs), in cubes
- Onions - 3 large, thinky sliced
- Shallots - 1, medium, thinly sliced
- garlic - 4 cloves, finely chopped
- ginger - 1 small piece, grated
- Green cardamoms - 8
- Coriander seeds - 1 1/2 tablespoon, crushed
- Mace - ground, 1 tablespoon
- cumin - 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg - a pinch
- Cayenne pepper - 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric - 2 teaspoons
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Tomatoes - 3 fresh, seeded, cubed
- Greek Yoghurt - 1/2 cup
- Wash the rice until water is clear and cook it following these instructions. But REMOVE the rice from cooking 5 minutes before indicated. You want the rice to be not fully cooked. You will finish cooking it with the lamb in the oven, this will allow the rice to absorb some of the lamb korma juices which will make it super delicious.
- Heat oil in pan, cook the onions for 10 minutes in medium heat until light brown. Add ginger, cardamom, shallots and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the lamb and cook for 15 minutes constantly stirring over low medium heat.
- Add the spices and mix. Add a little bit of water and simmer. Incorporate the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the yoghurt and stir. Add a little of water if needed. Cover and cook at low heat for 30-45 minutes. The lamb should be so tender that it can almost be cut with a fork. It should be covered with a thick sauce that will add a nice flavor to the rice.
- Soak saffron threads in the orange blossom. Set aside.
- In a large tagine or dutch oven, brush the bottom with oil, add 1/2 of the rice, then the lamb and finally the rest of the rice on top. Cover with a lid and cook in a medium oven for 20 minutes. The rice at the bottom will be embedded with the curry juices, the one on the top will be fully aromatic. Sprinkle the saffroned orange blossom and serve.
An aromatic rice that is boiled and then finished in the oven with a lamb korma so it absorbs the meat juices. Super delicious Indian dish.Add to Favourites