Roasted Rack of Pork Saltimbocca Style
- Orange - 3 peeled, seeded, cut in wedges
- Honey - 1 Tablespoon
- Sage - 8-10 small leaves in small pieced
- Sugar - 2 Tablespoons
- Dry White wine (ie: Sauvignon Blanc) - 1/3 cup
- Mozarella cheese - grated, 3 Tablespoons
- Pork Roast
- 1 8-bone rack of pork - approx 2.4 kg/ 5 lbs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2-3 Tablespoons, chopped
- Prosciutto - 6 slices
- Sage - fresh leaves, 12-15
- Tiny Round Potatoes - 16, whole, skin in
- Sea Salt
I woke up this morning thinking about a rack of pork I bought a couple of days ago. I knew I wanted to roast the whole rack but have no clear idea of how. I though about saltimbocca, the veal dish cooked topped with sage and prosciutto. I made a variation with pork a couple of times and they tasted great. Pork always goes well with orange too, so that's how this recipe was born.
The pork is roasted with a filling of orange and sage. Once it's almost done, I added a layer of sage and prosciutto so the latter becomes crispy. Here's a step by step directions:
- Clean the excess fat from the pork rack, remove tendons by slicing a thin large knife underneath (they tend to be an issue when eating but also they twist the rack, thus losing its nice shape).
- With a long and thin knife make a hole lengthwise (make sure to do it at the center of the meat).
- Peel, seed, remove white part from the oranges. Cut in wedges. And then in thirds. Cut 6-8 sage leaves in pieces.
- Pre heat oven at 190ºc / 375º F.
- In small pan, heat sugar for one or two minutes, add the oranges, white wine, honey, sage pieces and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once, it's done, turn the heat off, add the grated cheese and stir quickly so that the cheese melts and integrates to the orange. Let it cool down.
- Put the filling inside the pork using the tunnel created before, use the back of large wooded spoon to push the filling along the pork so it's evenly distributed.
- Brush olive oil on a large oven pan. Put the pork rack, bones side down, season with pepper and salt. Roast at 375º F for 1h 20 minutes. Internal temperature should register 140º F at the center.
- Turn the oven off. Remove pan from oven. Put some sage leaves on top of the meat. Cover the whole rack (the meat part) with prosciutto. Put the pan back into the oven for a couple of minutes until the prosciutto gets crispy.
- Remove pan from oven. Place the rack of pork in a large cutting boar, let it rest loosely covered with a tin foil for 10 minutes. This will increase the internal temperature, meat will be pink at the center.
- Put the pan on medium heat, add once 1/2 cup of white wine. Scrap the bottom to deglaze. Pour the juices in a pot, add 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier. Heat, season to taste.
- Serve one rib per person, pour some sauce. Pair with a nice wine and roasted potatoes seasoned with sea salt and small sage leaves.
A roasted rack of pork that’s if finally wrapped in crispy prosciutto and sage. This Saltimbocca style rack of pork comes with a surprise: an orange and sage filling.Add to Favourites