Porchetta – Crispy Pork Roast
- Pork Tenderloin - 1
- Pork belly - skin on, 2.75 kg (6 lbs)
- Butcher twine - 6 feet
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Rosemary - fresh, 1/8 cup
- parsley - fresh, 1/8 cup
- Garlic - 1 whole head, peeled
- fennel - 2 tablespoons
- Orange peel - 3 tablespoons
- Lemon peel - 2 Tablespoons
- Crushed Red pepper - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 1/4 cup
- Black pepper - 2 tablespoons
- Process and mix all the filling ingredients.
- With the help of a mallet, tenderize the meat of the pork belly and thin it.
- Place the pork belly skin down. Place the loin on top at the center of the pork belly.
- Spread the herb, garlic, zest, etc. mix all over the loin and the pork belly meat.
- Roll the pork belly as tight as possible. With the help of butcher twine tie the porchetta all around trying to keep it as tight as possible and making sure the skin is covering the meat all around and not letting the filling escape.
- Score the skin, not too deep, and lightly spread with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
- Some people like to put the Porchetta on the fridge and leave it for a couple of hours before cooking (actually you would need at least one extra hour so that it reaches room temperature). It's up to you.
- Heat the oven at 260ºc / 500ºF. Place the Porchetta on a roasting rack and put in the oven.
- Cook for 30 min at 260ºc / 500ºF. You can add some water to the roasting pan to avoid the fat that drips to get burned.
- Lower the temperature to 160º c /325º F. continue cooking the Porchetta for an additional 1h 30 min. Check if you need to add more water to the pan. From time to time you might need to sprinkle some of the pan juices on top of the Porchetta.
- Turn the over back to 260ºc / 500ºF and continue cooking until the skin looks very crispy. This could take between 20 and 30 minutes. The skin should be brown but not black.
- Remove from the oven and place on a large carving board. Remove the twine and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Cut in slices and serve.
- Goes great with Ciabatta bread. Enjoy!
Porchetta is a savoury, crispy, and moist pork roast, a staple of Italian culinary tradition. The pork is arranged with layers of herbs stuffing, meat and skin that turns crispy and makes Porchetta an amazing experiencing either on its own or as the main ingredient of a sandwich.Add to Favourites