Pollo Tonnato - Chicken With Tuna Sauce
This is the chicken version of the Italian classic "Vitello Tonnato" (veal in tuna sauce).
- Chicken Breast - 4 large
- Chicken broth
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - to cook
- Lemons - 2
- Canned Tuna in oil - 250 gr
- tomatoes - 500 gr, diced
- Egg yolk - 4, cooked
- Egg yolk - 2, raw
- Capers - 50 gr
- cream - 125 cc
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 100 cc for the sauce
- garlic - 2 cloves
- parsley - to taste
- salt pepper - to taste
- Grate lemon and set the zest aside. Squeeze and reserve the juice too.
- In a rectangle-shaped container put the chicken, lemon juice, lemon zest, to cover the chicken. Cover with plastic foil, and let rest in the fridge for about an hour.
- Peel the tomatoes and cut into cubes. Add a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a blender, add the tuna (discard its liquid first), one garlic clove, half of the capers, a pinch of parsley, the cooked yolks, the cream and one or two Tablespoons of tomato.
- Blend until you get a creamy consistency. Then add the two raw yolks and a little bit of chicken stock. Blend at a slow speed and add olive oil little by little until it turns into a mayonnaise-type sauce.
- Remove the chicken breasts. Pat dry.
- Cook in olive oil over medium heat. Add one or two cups of hot chicken stock. Let it cool down. Note: the chicken needs to be thoroughly cooked but not over-cooked.
- Slice the chicken breasts as thin as possible.
- In a large deep container, cover the bottom with sliced chicken. Add a generous layer of tuna sauce. Repeat a couple of times. Once you run out of chicken, pour the rest of the tuna sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and the rest of the capers.
- Mix the remaining tomatoes with olive oil. Serve a portion of Pollo Tonnato with a side of tomatoes.
This is the chicken version of the Italian classic “Vitello Tonnato” (veal in tuna sauce)Add to Favourites