Broccoli, Arugula and Basil Pesto
- Peel and devein the garlic cloves.
- Bring a large pasta pot with water and 1 tablespoon of coarse salt to boil. Boil the broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and let it cool.
- Bring the water to boil again and cook the pasta as per the packaging instructions. Normally I like to have Fussili with pesto. In this particular occasion, I cooked Bucatini. It's a long pasta with a whole running through the center ("buco" in Italian means hole).
- In a food processor place the broccoli, arugula, basil, garlic cloves, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Process until well mixed but don't turn it into a puree. A good pesto needs to have a thick consistency.
- Put the pesto in a large bowl and add the rest of the olive oil. Mix with a spoon.
- When the pasta is almost done, add one tablespoon of the water and mix with the pesto.
- Drain the pasta and place it on top of the pesto, mix well until the pasta is coated with the peso. Serve immediately.
- Season with black pepper.
This Broccoli, Arugula and Basil Pesto is a nice variation to the classic pesto recipe that is made with basil alone. The procedure and rest of ingredients are the same: garlic, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheeseAdd to Favourites