Cheese Tortellini Gratin
- Fill a large pasta pot with water, add a tablespoon of coarse salt and bring it to boil. The recommended ratio is one tablespoon of salt per 4 liters (1 quart) of water.
- Once the water is boiling gently throw the pasta in. Let it boil again and reduce the heat to medium.
- With a wooden spoon gently stir the pasta.
- Let the tortellini boil for 5 minutes (check the manufacturer instructions, time will vary if they are frozen or fresh and depending on the thickness of the dough...) You want to remove them from the water 1 minute before the cooking time for al dente.
- Rub the bottom of an oven ready dish with butter. Place one large spoon of simple tomato sauce on the bottom. Remove the pasta from the water with a slotted spoon and place over the tomato sauce. Add more tomato sauce to taste (but not too much). Pour heavy whipping cream until you covered most of the pasta. Put the thin mozzarella slices on top covering all the surface.
- Generously sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top and put into a 180ºc /400 F oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes (this will allow evenly cook the cream and melting the cheese before gratin it). Turn on the oven broiler and let it grate. Remove when ready (watch out not to burn the pasta or the cheese)
- Remove from the oven and let it settle for a couple of minutes.
- Using a sharp metallic spatula, cut and serve. I recommend that you first work with the spatula around the borders to separate if from the oven dish. Then cut the crusted cheese surface -not too deep so as not to break the pasta, you want to keep the filling inside the pasta. Insert the spatula on the side of the baking dish and lift a portion (once you reach the marks you made before).
Cheese Tortellini Gratin is an Italian comfort food staple that every kid will love. The tortellini are boiled first and then topped with a creamy cheese and into the oven to form a nice crust gratin.Add to Favourites