Banana Leaf Pork Dumplings – Banh Nam
- Banana Leaves - 10
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Potato Starch - 1/4 cup
- coconut flakes - sweetened, 2 tablespoons
- Sugar - 1/2 tablespoon
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Ground pork - 1/3 lb
- Fish sauce - 1/3 tablespoon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2 Tablespoons
- Shrimps - raw, deveined, 120 gr (1/4 lb)
- Shallots - 1, large, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Water - 2 1/4 cups
Dim Sum is a Chinese Cantonese staple, small bite-sized portions of food are cooked (and served) in small steamers. Dumplings of any sort play a big role in a dim sum. These banana leaf pork dumplings have more of Thai or Vietnamese origin but fit perfectly in any dim sum.
- Cut the banana leaves in 4 pieces of 25 cm x 36 cm (10" x 14") and 4 pieces of 12.5 cm x 36 cm (5" x 14"). Wipe them dry.
- In a large bowl stir together rice flour, potato starch and water. Season with salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine ground pork, fish sauce, pepper, olive oil, diced shrimps.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the shallots and garlic for 20 seconds. Add the pork/ shrimp mix. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon to separate the meat. Add the sugar and continue stirring until browned. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- In a heavy sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the starch/ rice flour mix. At medium heat, stir constantly for 3 minutes. Once it becomes more dense, turn the heat down and continue cooking and stirring until the consistency become very thick. Remove from heat.
- Place one banana leaf lengthwise and place the smaller leaf crosswise. Spread olive oil over the banana leavers. Pour 1/4 of the rice cornstarch mix to form a rectangle. Place 1/4 of the pork mix on top.
- Fold the left and right sides of the banana leaves. Repeat the same operation with bottom and top sides. Turn it over and set it aside. Repeat the operation with the remaining filling and leaves.
- Cook in a bamboo steamer for about 10 minutes. Let it rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Open and eat with a lemongrass dipping sauce. Enjoy!
These pork dumplings are wrapped in banana leaves and then steamed. This is an amazing addition to any dim sum. The banana leaf adds a nice sweet flavor and aroma to these dumplings.Add to Favourites