Chicken Pistachio Korma
- Pistachio paste
- Pistachios - unsalted, skinless, 100 gr (3 1/2 oz)
- Chiles (Thai Bird eye) - 4 dried
- heavy whipping cream - 5 Tablespoons
- Curry Base
- Onion - 1, large, julienned
- Garlic - 4 cloves, finly chopped
- Ginger - 1 small piece, julienned
- Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds - 1 Tablespoon, crushed with a mortar
- Green cardamoms - 6, crushed with a mortar
- Black pepper - To Taste
- Crushed Red pepper - 1 teaspoon
- chicken thighs - 1 kgr (2.4 lbs)
- chicken stock - 2 Cups
- White rice - Jasmine or
A korma is an Indian dish usually braised chicken, vegetables or meat cooked with spices and yogurt or cream. This recipe is very delicate in taste, yet very flavorful. Make sure to find good quality pistachios as they will kill or break the end flavor. Ideally use unsalted ones. If you can't find them, you'll need to wash them to remove the salt before using it. This recipe is a little bit spicy. If you want it milder, reduce (or eliminate) the amount of chilies. If you want it hotter, add two or three more.
- Prepare the chicken stock and keep it warm.
- Boil the pistachios in a 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. Drain and let them cool down.
- Julienne the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Lightly toast the green cardamoms and coriander seeds in a pan. Crush them in a mortar.
- In a food processor, put together the chilies, crushed red pepper, cream and pistachios. Process to a paste. It needs to be pretty thick. If you have trouble processing it, add a little bit more cream.
- Bring a large skillet to a high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and lightly brown the onions. Then add the ginger, garlic and rest of the spices. Mix with a wooden spoon for one minute.
- Add the pistachio mix and stir fry for one or two minutes.
- Turn the heat to high. Add the chicken thighs and seal for about 3 minutes on each side. Make sure they get coated with the mix but watch out not that the pistachio mix does not get browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Season with salt and black pepper.Add 3/4 of the chicken stock. Cook for about 20 minutes. The chicken should be very tender. If the liquid evaporates too fast, you can add more chicken stock if needed.
- Serve with white rice. Enjoy!
Chicken Pistachio Korma is a delicate and intriguing curry dish. The pistachios provide an excellent flavor to the chicken and add a nice green color to the sauce. This version is kind of spicy but you can make it milder by reducing the amount of chilies.Add to Favourites