Black Lentil Chicken Curry
- Chicken Thighs - 1.2kg (2 1/2 lbs)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Onion - 2 medium, julienned
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 1 Tablespoon
- Crushed Red pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Black lentils - 1 400g can (14 Oz)
- Spice mix
- Green cardamoms - 6, crushed with a mortar
- Chiles (Thai Bird eye) - dried, 6
- Coriander seeds - 1 Tablespoon, crushed with a mortar
- Mace - 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin - 1 teaspoon
- Rosemary - chopped, 1 teaspoon
This rich and hearty black lentil chicken curry is perfect for a main meal rather than as a side dish like the more traditional Indian dhals.
Follow this simple recipe:
- Cut the chicken thighs in large cubes.
- Put a large skillet to medium heat, add the olive oil and cook the onions until golden brown (around 10 minutes). Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the lemongrass and crushed red pepper. Stir for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to high and sautee the chicken cubes for 5 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Add the spice mix and cook for one minute.
- Add the lentils plus 1/2 can of water. Bring it to boil, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking for 10 minutes until the chicken is done and the liquid has thickened.
- Serve with white rice and salad. Enjoy!
This rich and hearty black lentil chicken curry is perfect for a main meal rather than as a side dish like the more traditional Indian dhals.Add to Favourites