Sweetbreads with an Asian Twist
Asian Twist on Argentinean Mollejas - Sweetbreads - marinated in honey, lemongrass and ginger before grilling. This Asian chimichurri has cardamom, mint, cilantro and red peppercorns.
- Sweetbreads - 454 gr (1 lb)
- Honey - 2 Tablespoons
- Dry White wine - 1/2 cup
- Lemongrass - 1 stalk, soft part, finely chopped
- Ginger - fresh, grated, 1 tablespoon
- Lemon - 1, grated zest and juice
- Mint - 1 1/2 tablespoon, fresh, minced
- Cilantro - 11 tablespoon, fresh, minced
- Garlic - 4 cloves, finly chopped
- Red Peppercorns - 3 teaspoon, crushed with a mortar
- Sesame seed oil - 2 teaspoon
- Olive oil - 1/3 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Crushed Red pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon, crushed with a mortar
- Green cardamoms - 4, crushed with a mortar
I woke up today, New Year's eve, and all of sudden I started to design the menu for tonight. This is the appetizer. The sweetbreads are marinated with lemongrass, ginger and honey and the grilled. The chimichurri has a nice balance of mint and cilantro with ginger and sesame seed oil that goes great with the crispy mollejas. Simple and rewarding.
Bring water with a couple drops of lemon to boil. Once it's boiling, place the sweetbreads and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and put them in bowl with water and ice until they cool down. Remove and set aside.
In the meantime, prepare the marinade with lemon zest, 2 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 glass of white wine, honey and 3/4 tablespoon of grated ginger (leave the rest for the chimichurri)
Cut the sweetbreads lengthwise in two or three slices (depending on the size of each sweetbread). Add them to the marinade. Cover with foil and let them rest a room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Rotate from time to time.
Warm iron grill on medium heat. Remove the sweetbreads from the marinade and pat dry with paper. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Grill sweetbreads on both sides until browned on medium heat (honey will add a nice crust but if the heat is too high, they can turn black).
Serve with the grilled sweetbreads with the Asian chimichurri on the side
Asian Twist on Argentinean Mollejas (Sweetbreads): marinated in honey, lemongrass and ginger before grilling. This Asian chimichurri has cardamom, mint, cilantro and red peppercorns.Add to Favourites