Shrimp Stuffed Squash Blossoms Tempura
- Romesco Sauce
- Garlic - 1 large clove, crushed
- Almonds - 1/4 cup
- Red Bell Pepper - 1 large, roasted, peeled, seeded,
- Tomato puree - 1/4 cup
- Hungarian Sweet Paprika - 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Sherry Vinegar - 2 Tablespoons
- Dry Parsil - 1/2 teaspoon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
- Salt and Black Pepper - To Taste
- Squash Blossoms
- Squash Blossom - 4, large
- Raclette Cheese - 1 small piece
- Shrimps - 4 large
- Paprika - 1/4 teaspoon
- Olive Oil - 1 Tablespoon
- Tempura Batter Mix - Kikkoman
- Corn Oil - enough for frying
I've been waiting for the summer to come to prepare this dish. Luckily, I found this place online Gourmet Sweet Botanicals that delivered them overnight. Super awesome size and quality. These are the kind of Fedex deliveries I'm excited to open 🙂
I had bought ingredients to prepare a seafood cazuela, so I decided to stuff the blossoms with shrimps and a little bit of cheese. I used Raclette cheese but you can use Fontina or a mild Gruyere.
Stuffed Squash Blossoms Tempura is a fancy, yet easy to prepare appetizer. In this recipe, stuffed with shrimps and Raclette cheese and then deep fried in Tempura batter. The Romesco sauce adds a rich nutty flavor and texture to balance the subtle nature of Squash Blossoms.
Don't get scared by the fancy look, follow these easy steps and you'll amaze your guests:
- Prepare the Romesco sauce. Mix all ingredients (except olive oil and salt/ black pepper) in a blender until all the ingredients are well mixed. You want to have a creamy paste with some nice texture. Then at the minimum speed, add olive oil slowly until well combined. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Reserve in the fridge.
- Cook the shrimps. In a skillet, heat one tablespoon of olive oil at high heat. Sautee shrimps ,approx 1 min each, you want them to be reddish but not too well cooked. Remember they will be fried inside the blossoms. Sprinkle salt and pepper before turning them around for the first time. Set them aside.
- Cut the cheese in four pieces of 2" x 1" x 1/2" (4 x 2 x 1cm)
- Place one shrimp and one cheese piece into the center of each squash blossom. Place blossoms on a plate, cover with a paper towel or plastic wrap and chill until ready to fry.
- Prepare the tempura batter following the packaging instructions (important to use very cold icy water).
- Heat oil tp 375F / 190C in a deep fryer. Handling the tempura blossoms from the stem quickly coat them with the tempura batter and carefully place it in the hot oil. Repeat with the rest. Cook until golden on both sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove from oil. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with Romesco sauce on the side.
Stuffed Squash Blossoms Tempura is a fancy, yet easy to prepare appetizer. In this recipe, stuffed with shrimps and Raclette cheese and then deep fried in Tempura batter. The Romesco sauce adds a rich nutty flavor and texture to balance the subtle nature of Squash Blossoms.Add to Favourites