Ethiopian Spiced Butter – Niter Kebbeh
- Cut the butter in cubes. Prepare vegetables and spices as indicated on the ingredients list.
- Toast cardamoms, cinnamon and turmeric in a medium size pan over medium heat until aromatic.
- Add the butter cubes and melt over low heat. Once the butter is almost melted, add the rest of the ingredients. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to minimum and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon from time to time. Remove from heat.
- Using a very thin mesh colander, remove all the solids and discard. You can use it right away or storage in a jar for about 3-4 months in the fridge.
- This spiced butter is ideal to cook Ethiopian dishes such as a Tibs (lamb stew), check the recipe here.
This simple Ethiopian spiced butter recipe is great for sauteing meat and vegetables. Ideal for many Ethiopian dishes but you can also use in Indian food (to replace ghee) or in other dishes where you want to add some aromatic flavor when sauteing.Add to Favourites